Agnoster is a fantastic Z shell theme for coding based on PowerLine, with the best Git integration I’ve seen yet. It displays many helpful things about your current working directory in a glance:
- If the previous command failed (✘)
- User @ Hostname (if user is not DEFAULT_USER, which can then be set in your profile)
- Git status
- Branch () or detached head (➦)
- Current branch / SHA1 in detached head state
- Dirty working directory (±, color change)
- Working directory
- Elevated (root) privileges (⚡)
If you’re looking to trick out your command line with an informative theme that’s easy on the eyes, I highly recommend it.
Update: If don’t want to use Z shell, there is now an official PowerLine plugin for bash (and other shells) that is very nice as well. It’s not as simple to install as Agnoster via oh-my-zsh, but is lighter weight and looks great!